Gregory Lewis, the Executive Director of the True Colors Fund has posted this thank you to all #Pizza4Equality donors. He is very gracious to yours truly, but this is a campaign built by thousands. #Pizza4Equality has right now, 4,261. But it is so important not to overlook even those who were not in a position to give utilized the power of their voice, and their network of friends. GoFundMe reports over 76,000 share on social media, people who spread the word.
The entire blog post is here. I’m excerpting the part where Gregory explains where the $161,00+ in donations will go:
Today, the effort to end LGBT youth homelessness is $160,000+ stronger than it was a month ago. This money is going to go a long way to support our programs, which:
- Create opportunities for young people to develop their advocacy, job, and life skills – and engage them directly in the effort to end this issue
- Work collaboratively with communities to build local responses to prevent and end LGBT youth homelessness
- Build policies and advocate within government for public programs that serve all youth experiencing homelessness
- Conduct groundbreaking research about a historically understudied issue
- Raise public awareness and provide people with simple ways to get involved in the effort to end LGBT youth homelessness
We want to thank everyone who donated, promoted, and participated in this empowering campaign. We didn’t see this coming at all. It was a surprise blessing for us and for the young people we work every day to serve. This campaign has demonstrated to people around the world that even when something terrible happens (like the passage of Indiana SB 101), humanity can respond with something absolutely beautiful – something absolutely human. Today, more people than ever before are talking about LGBT youth homelessness, reaching out to their local lawmakers with their concerns, and strategizing with one another around ways they can help young people in their own communities. People are engaged in this issue like never before. And that’s exactly what needs to happen if we are truly going to end LGBT youth homelessness. And we are going to end it.
Reminder, the #Pizza4Equality GoFundMe is still open until May 10.